Monday, December 15, 2008

Joy to the World

I love Christmas mass. The smell of incense, the babies in sweet little velvet dresses, the older boys with their slick hair and ties. A couple years ago I was sick and missed it and I was beside myself. It's the best part of Christmas. Partially because it's the meaning of Christmas - it's not about getting the best present or eating until you don't even want to look at food anymore. It's about a little baby being born, halfway across the globe, that changed the world. Whether or not all the details are factual, whether or not you believe, you can't avoid the fact Jesus has had a huge impact on humanity. His story has survived for 2000 years and is still going strong. Even if you don't believe, you have to acknowledge that's pretty impressive. The same is true of Muhammad and Buddha and all other religious leaders. Of the millions - probably billions or trillions, actually - of people that have lived and died on this earth, only a handful have survived the test of time. 

Another thing I love about Christmas mass is singing Christmas songs. Joy to the World especially sends a chill through me every time I hear it and sing it. It's so beautiful and happy and powerful. Same with Hark, the Herald Angels Sing. I am thankful to have been raised in the Catholic church - among other reasons, we have the most beautiful churches. It's amazing to stand in this massive, soaring building with stained glass and statues and gold leaf.

Although I am Catholic and intend to stay true to my faith, I've been listening to Latter-Day Saint speeches (sermons? I don't know what they call them) lately. I don't know if I ascribe to all their doctrine, but they have a lot of powerful messages. I like the idea of focusing on the family and really just loving one another and being good people. It reminds me to appreciate my simple life, and inspires me to carry on with what I want. It's no secret to anyone I know that I can't wait to have a family. I like hearing things that remind me that that is an acceptable goal, even having grown up in an area of the country where girls--and boys--are expected to become doctors and lawyers, the leaders of the world. I've always wanted a simple life in a simple town, with a simple family. God gives us all gifts, I think He wants me to be a mother.

I just realized this entry didn't go where I intended it to go. I guess I just wanted to say that I enjoy the simple things in life. 

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

No comments: