Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blessed

I got my first speeding ticket last night.

I was going too fast, I was in the wrong. I collected my ticket and carried on my way home. As I drove on (going the speed limit or under, of course...no really, I didn't dare speed for the seventy miles left of my trip) I couldn't help but feel like God was watching out for me. I had been warned of ice and it was very cold out, but I sped anyway, because there's a part of me that is still young and feels invincible. Maybe an accident was in my future, and angels or God or someone forced me to stop driving fast. And then I felt lucky because it was pretty much the only part of the trip where I wasn't in a 65mph zone (higher ticket) and the officer didn't charge me for my outdated insurance (which she could have) and I saved on gas mileage because I drove slower.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't thrilled about the ticket. But it made me realize that even in the worst of situations, there are so many positive things to gain from it. Could I have spent the entire trip ruminating over how unfair the cop was, or how stupid I was for speeding, or how angry I was to pay the ticket? Of course. But it would have served no greater purpose than focusing on the positive things that came out of it. 

So, today, I feel blessed to finally be able to see the beauty in life.

No comments: