Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I believe in love.

I have this belief, this faith if you will, that love is out there for me. I have an inkling it will come to me within the next year or two. I believe that I will meet the love of my life and we will make it work to the best of our ability and have lots of children and a cute house and go to church on sundays. 

I have literally no reason to have this much faith. My relationship history is far from glamorous. I am the first to admit that I am not familiar with what goes into a long-term relationship.

But isn't that kind of what religion is all about? Believing without knowing, without seeing? There has been no concrete evidence in my own life that God exists (like Him appearing in front of my very eyes, but I do believe the Lord works in mysterious ways) but I choose to believe anyway. There is no concrete evidence that I am good at relationships or that I will meet my husband any time soon.

But I choose to believe.

And I think belief will pay off. I think it will work out because I want it to work out, because I believe it will work out. Perhaps I sound naive, but I don't care. Is there any real reason to believe otherwise, that marriage is stupid and all relationships are doomed to failure? We are all entitled to our own beliefs. And mine is that marriage works, that it is out there for me, and that I will be happy and loved. I know it will require work, but I am willing to do that. Because with great risk comes great reward.

No comments: