Friday, February 27, 2009

Love Month, Day 27: Remember?

Only one more day left in the month. I don't think I'll have a theme next month. Some days I didn't feel like writing about one particular topic.

Music plays a very big role in my life. I have a song for virtually every moment in my life. Walking to class with my ipod in, I fit memories to songs I listen to. In this respect I think I was meant to be a film director. Or maybe a music video creator. I would make one heck of a montage.

One song that has particular importance to me is "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. It's a song about a couple's life together. I like to play videos in my mind of my grandparent's marriage, and my parent's, even though I wasn't there for 90% of the scenes I think about. So I guess it's more romantic than fact. 

I also think about it in terms of one particular boy that is now gone from my life. Two-thirds of the lyrics don't apply, but I really just get stuck on the line "remember when?" He was there through some of the most painful times in my life. We had a very Noah-and-Allie from the Notebook relationship. We probably fought as much as we got along, but there's a certain beauty in fighting. Because fighting brings up such emotion. And because most of our fights were because we were too much alike. There were times when I thought I'd marry him, because we fit so seamlessly into each other's lives. It was the first time loving someone felt as natural as breathing. I don't know that I loved him in the traditional sense, but that previous sentence doesn't carry the same weight if I said "liking him felt as natural as breathing".

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is, he had a significant role in my life. There was pain, but there was a lot of joy. 

Sometimes I think about seeing him on the street in twenty years. He'd have his own life, and I'd have mine, and we'd both be happy with where we were. I would sincerely smile at him and laugh, saying, "Remember when?"

No comments: