Friday, February 13, 2009

Love Month, Day 13: Unanswered prayers.

"Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers," - Garth Brooks, in the song Unanswered Prayers

Sometimes I get the blues about some aspects of my past. There are so many things I'd go back and do differently, but unless someone invents a time machine, that's impossible. So I have to blindly believe that all the mistakes and tears in my past are leading somewhere good. 

This largely applies to dating, which the song has to do with. As much as I've had terrible relationship experiences, I believe that I will ultimately meet someone and I will know that there was a reason for all my pain and suffering, because it led me to the right person.

Out of necessity I have to believe that there is something great in my future that God is leading me to. I say out of necessity because when I start to let myself think that it's always going to be this way, I get more and more depressed.

And since we are only ever in the present, I think that this also requires paying attention to your blessings, however few and far between they feel. Even in the midst of the most painful times in our lives, there are so many blessings. It's just a matter of seeing them. And I think as a human race, that is one of the hardest things we have to overcome. It's tempting to think "why me?". Well, why not you? I truly believe God fits the back to the burden. He only gives us what we can handle. 

It occurs to me that this post doesn't have much to do with love. Well, I suppose it's God's love. or even if you don't believe in God, it's about noticing all the love in your life. 

No comments: