Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Love Month, Day 17: Loving one another.

Today in art history (oh, how I love art history. but I suppose that's for another post) we were looking at this ol' piece:



Isenheim Altarpiece. During discussion, my professor mentioned that the artist made Jesus look ill like the patients at the hospital that the monks took care of. He did that so that they could remember Christ in the suffering of ordinary people. And, because we are all children of God, Jesus is in everyone, and therefore we should love everyone as we love Jesus.

As I say in most of my posts, this isn't necessarily about believing in Jesus. It's about finding the best in people, and showing everyone the love we reserve for the most important people, whether in heaven or on earth. I don't think this means throwing yourself at everyone's feet, but just choosing love instead of anger or repulsion. It's tempting to get irritated by a particularly annoying comment in class, or someone who cuts you off (driving or on foot), or at something else not going our way when it comes to other people. 

But we can also love them for it and show them kindness. I think that this is hard, and it's something I know I am going to struggle with, but I want to keep it in my mind because I really believe that people deserve the best of me and not the worst.

No comments: