Saturday, April 18, 2009

Deoxyribonucleic acid

"When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses." -Joyce Brothers

I take after my grandmother in a lot of ways. We both have the same color blue eyes, we're both short, we both laugh at inappropriate times, we're both quiet and feel awkward sometimes, we both love God, we both love this guy:

swoon-worthy Frank Sinatra

I've known my whole life that I want a life just like hers. A young marriage, a big family, forty-five years in the same home. A strong conviction and a place where children always feel loved. I feel so blessed to have her in my life as an example for what I want and how to be. Maybe I'll never be exactly like her, and in many ways I will gladly be my own person, but it feels good to have an unwavering knowledge of how I want my life to play out.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by my faults. There are days when nothing I do is right and I can't quite figure out what I'm doing here on earth. But then I remember that I've got coded in my DNA the spirit of my grandmother and hundreds of generations of women that didn't always feel like everything was right but did the best they could. What weaves us together are a series of inherited traits and characteristics that make us beautiful in the eyes of God. And even if I have a million and one faults, I've got inherited, innate goodness. And for that I am worthy. It is my God-given gift to carry on these traits and spread the gifts in my soul as far and wide as I can. Hopefully, one day God will send me my own babies and I will rock them to sleep and whisper in their ears how lucky they are to carry in their blood and hearts the legacy of their ancestors.

No comments: