Friday, November 28, 2008

Lace veils

I've been thinking a lot about my wedding lately, for no particular reason.

(Then again, I always think about my wedding.)

But lately I've been thinking about my veil. I want one like this: 


I think the mantilla lace is so beautiful and classic. It reminds me of old weddings. I have a firm belief that I was born in the wrong decade. I was cut out for the cute hats and dresses of the 1940s or 1950s.

My grandparents got married in 1947. I am simply dying to ask how they fell in love and what their wedding was like. I like to believe that there is something deeply romantic about my young grandmother waiting for her sweetheart to come back from the war. I can't imagine sending someone you love off to war where there's a good chance they aren't going to come back alive. I don't even know if they were dating during the war.

I should ask.

(Also, thank god I didn't have to live through that. As romantic as it sounds, I can't even fathom the sheer terror for those on the home front waiting for their loved ones during the big wars.)

I simply love love. I think about it all the time. I also think I should incorporate styles like this veil into my daily life, because sitting around waiting for the one day when I can wear something that beautiful is a little silly.

No comments: