Monday, January 26, 2009

Globetrotting

I return from a long trip across shining seas. 

It was lovely. Really lovely. I'm so glad to have been able to have the experience before I am financially on my own and unable to go off on fancy trips without a care in the world. It's strange when you can feel the bits and pieces of your youth slipping away. By and large it is something we only realize after the fact but sometimes I catch the gleam in my eyes or look at my peers and realize that I am aging, despite the fact I don't ever feel any older, not really anyway. 

As much as other places can feel alienating, all I felt was that it is so beautiful to be apart of a world community. No matter where we are on earth, or what language we speak, the vast majority of people have similar life experiences. We cheer for sports teams and meet for dinner and listen to music and fall in love. We go to work and school and do our best to get through each day. And it is the same thing people have been doing for hundreds of years, to one degree or another. It's amazing how, despite the shortness of my life so far, I am apart of the fabric of humanity. It's really beautiful.

And yet even as much as I enjoyed my travels, it makes me even more resolute in my desire to live a rather boring life. I think I could be happy if I never left the same town again, if I married one man and stayed married to him and had some babies and never saw any more of the world. Not that I don't want to see more of the world, but there is a certain comfort in being so sure about what you want in life.

And Lord, I am sure. 

No comments: